5 deductions that could shrink Ant-Man’s tax billShrinking is something Ant-Man does best in the newest Marvel Comics movie. But when he’s not working on downsizing his body, he could be downsizing his tax bill. That bite-sized superhero has got work-related deductions all over the place.

Uniform. Yes, let’s start with the uniform. It’s sleek and high-tech, sure. But it’s not suitable for everyday wear, and Ant-Man must wear it as a condition of his employment. That, my friends, makes the cost and upkeep deductible. If Ant-Man pays for either of those things and is not reimbursed by his employer, he can write them off.

Education. It’s not like Ant-Man just slips on that suit and knows what he needs to do. He’s got to learn how to work that thing. Fortunately for Ant-Man, his educational expenses are taken care of by Hank Pym. If they weren’t, he could write them off because they maintain or improve the skills required in his present job, and they’re required by his employer to keep his job.

Transportation. Ant-Man gets around a bit, if you know what I mean. He’s like a lot of workers who have ordinary and necessary business-related expenses for travel away from home. If he’s paying out of his pocket for all that travel, he can use Form 2016 to claim his expenses. Those expenses could include: the cost of getting to and from his business destination; meals; baggage charges, taxi fares, and more. If he uses his car – though why would he, given the suit’s powers – he could deduct the standard business mileage rate of 57.5 cents per mile.

Insurance. Given his line of work – the typical superhero, save the world stuff – Ant-Man would be foolish not to have some type of insurance. If he’s got business liability insurance, he can deduct the premiums he pays for protection against personal liability for wrongful acts on the job.

Professional dues. Ant-Man, being one of the original Avengers, might be required to pay dues to keep his membership. Of course, his membership helps him carry out the duties of his job. For that reason, his dues payments would be deductible. 

You may not be superhero material, but you, too, can deduct unreimbursed employee expenses paid during the tax year. To do so, you must itemize deductions, using Schedule A. 

Disclaimer: Tax Lounge is an informational source for industry news and related topics. We take every effort to provide honest and accurate tax information, but this information should not be a substitute for professional tax advice. Use our office locator to find your local tax office or subscribe to our free newsletter.