Did you hear the latest Obamacare news? If you paid a penalty for not having health insurance on your 2014 tax return, then you have another chance to #GetCovered via the Health Insurance Marketplace. Just visit healthcare.gov and use the Special Enrollment Period tool to find out if you qualify. If your state hosts its own Marketplace, you’ll need to check with them instead. Better hurry, special enrollment is available only for a limited time!
Here are 5 key takeaways from the Tax Special Enrollment Period:
- About 6 million Americans could owe the Obamacare tax penalty this year, according to the Washington Post
- As of April 20th, about 68,000 people have used this Special Enrollment Period to sign up for Obamacare, according to The Hill.
- The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) will cross-check your tax return to verify your eligibility. So, don’t try anything sneaky with the Health Insurance Marketplace.
- You have until April 30, 2015, to apply and select a policy.
- If you enroll between April 15th and April 30th, you can start using your health benefits on the first day of June.
Not sure which policy is best for you? Check out these blogs: Which Obamacare Plan Should I Choose? and Low Cost Insurance and No Obamacare Penalty, which may give you better insight into the right decision. If you’ve never bought health insurance before, Liberty Tax® can help. Call 1-800-673-8600 to find a health insurance agent near you.
-- By Alice Robeson
Disclaimer: Tax Lounge is an informational source for industry news and related topics. We take every effort to provide honest and accurate tax information, but this information should not be a substitute for professional tax advice. Use our office locator to find your local tax office or subscribe to our free newsletter.