Now that the Affordable Care Act (ACA) has added new tax forms, many individuals may be confused as to what documents are needed for tax preparation, especially if this will be your first time filing taxes. Use the following tax filing information to organize and prepare your important documents and ACA necessities before heading to your local Liberty Tax® office.


Tax Preparation Information

You and Your Family’s Personal Information

  • Name and date of birth
  • Social Security card/ITIN/ATIN
  • Last year’s tax return
  • Valid driver’s license
  • **Exemption certificate number (ECN)

Employee Income Information

  • Forms W-2
  • Unemployment compensation (Form 1099-G)
  • Miscellaneous income, or money earned from side jobs (Form 1099-MISC)
  • Self-employment income

Retirement, Savings and Investments

  • IRA or 401(k) distribution (Form 1099-R)
  • Pension income (Form 1099-R)
  • Real estate or personal property taxes paid
  • Mortgage interest paid
  • Social Security or Railroad retirement (SSA-1099 or RRB-1099)
  • Sale of a personal residence
  • Rental income and expenses
  • Employer-sponsored retirement plan or Traditional IRA contributions

Education Expenses

  • Qualifying higher education expenses, such as tuition and books
  • Grade K-12 educator expenses
  • Student loan interest paid (Form 1098-E)

Business Expenses

Other Income and Tax Information

  • **Proof of insurance (Form 1095A, 1095B, or 1095C)
  • Interest income and payments (Form 1099-INT)
  • Dividend slips
  • Stock sales
  • Gambling or lottery winnings and losses (Form W-2G for winnings over $600)
  • State income tax refund (Form 1099-G)
  • Estimated taxes paid (based on information on Form W-4)
  • Prizes and other awards
  • Records of jury duty

Other Tax Deductions, Adjustments and Credits

  • Medical expenses paid
  • Charitable contributions (cash and non-cash)
  • Employment-related expenses, such as job hunting, moving costs and travel
  • Costs of adopting a child
  • Expenses associated with property loss or damage by natural disasters if you live in a federally declared disaster area

**denotes new forms and information added by ACA


What the ACA Added to Your Tax Return

To avoid a tax penalty for not having health insurance, you must qualify for a coverage exemption. Individuals who apply for an exemption through the Marketplace, will need an exemption certificate number (ECN) in order to complete Form 8965. You can apply for your exemption using our Affordable Care Act Exemption Guide. Don’t wait to apply as this process can take several weeks. The sooner you apply, the sooner you will have your ECN.

To verify your insurance coverage, you will receive Form 1095. Form 1095A will be sent to individuals who enrolled in Marketplace insurance and must be attached to your tax return. For individuals who acquired insurance outside of the Marketplace, Forms 1095B (employer-sponsored plans) and 1095C (private insurance) may be received. Forms 1095B and 1095C are not required to file your taxes this year but they may be needed in the future.


Participating Liberty Tax® offices are open and ready to assist with your tax filing needs. Visit your local office or call our ACA hotline at 1-800-673-8600 for more information.