As a self-employed individual, you have a couple options for health insurance coverage depending on whether or not you have any employees.
Self-employed individuals with no employees can enroll in coverage through the Marketplace. Enrolling through the Marketplace may allow you to take advantage of the premium tax credit depending on your income and household size. Your income is based off your estimated net income for the year you will be enrolling in coverage.
For those self-employed individuals that do have employees working for their company, you can enroll in coverage through the SHOP Marketplace. To qualify for the SHOP Marketplace, your business or non-profit organization must have 50 or fewer full-time equivalent employees. You also do not have to wait until the OEP to start offering insurance to your employees. Enrollments can be done any time of year.
Benefits of using the SHOP Marketplace:
- Ability to offer your employees a selection of one plan or multiple plans
- Ability to offer health insurance and dental insurance or just health or dental insurance
- Choose how much you would like to pay towards your employees’ premiums and if you would like to offer coverage to their dependents
- Decide initial enrollment periods and waiting periods for new employees
- If you have fewer than 25 employees, you may qualify for a Small Business Health Care Tax Credit worth up to 50% of your premium costs
Please visit www.healthcare.gov to apply for health insurance coverage for 2017. The Open Enrollment Period runs from November 1st to January 31st.
To consult with a professional Liberty Tax® ACA Advisor at your local Liberty Tax® office, contact 800-673-8600 or visit HealthCareTaxInfo.com.