I forgot to include a second income on my tax return. I forgot to add a dependent and missed out on a tax credit. I filed under the incorrect filing status.

Did you prepare your own taxes this year and realize you made a mistake that may have affected your overall tax after it was submitted to the IRS? There’s still time if you need to amend, or revise, a tax return. FYI … if you made a simple mathematical error or forgot to include certain forms or schedules with your return, there’s no need to file an amendment! The IRS usually corrects miscalculations and sometimes lets returns with missing forms slide.

Follow these steps to go about filing an amendment:

  1. Print Form 1040X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, and mail it to the IRS. This form cannot be electronically completed.
  2. Attach all needed documentation, including W-2s.
  3. Once the IRS receives the form, it can take up to 12 weeks for them to process it.
  4. The status of your amended return can be checked using the IRS’s “Where’s My Amended Return?” tool or toll-free number 866-464-2050. You can start checking the status 3 weeks after you have mailed the form.

Keep in mind that Form 1040X must be filed within 3 years after the date in which your original return was due or 2 years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is greater. There is an exception for those who filed for extensions – the form is then due 3 years after the date you filed your return. See the IRS website for more information.

Do you have questions about filing an amendment or what should be attached? Stop into your local Liberty Tax® and ask a preparer for assistance. To locate an office near you, use our office locator or call 1-866-871-1040.

Disclaimer: Every effort has been taken to provide the most accurate and honest analysis of the tax information provided in this blog. Please use your discretion before making any decisions based on the information provided. This blog is not intended to be a substitute for seeking professional tax advice based on your individual needs.