prior-year-tax-recordsIn some situations, such as when you apply for a student loan, mortgage or visa, you may be asked to provide a copy of your most recent tax return. If you do not have a copy, there are options for getting tax return transcripts and tax account transcripts from the IRS. This process can take weeks, sometimes months. Getting an actual tax return from the IRS currently costs $57 for each return requested. Alternatively, Taxbrain allows its customers the convenient ability to access and print their complete tax return (not transcripts) 24 hours a day, seven days a week from their safe, secure Taxbrain account at no additional charge.*

IRS Transcripts - Tax Return Transcript vs. Tax Account Transcript

A tax return transcript shows most line items from your tax return (Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ) as it was originally filed, including any accompanying forms and schedules. In most cases, your transcript includes all the information a lender or government agency needs. It does not show any changes you, your representative or the IRS made after you filed. Ask your financial institution to be sure a return transcript will meet their requirements. The tax return transcript is generally available for the current and past three years. The IRS can also provide a tax account transcript. The tax account transcript shows basic data from your return, including marital status, type of return filed, adjusted gross income and taxable income. It also includes any adjustments you or the IRS made after you filed your return. Like the tax return transcript, the tax account transcript is generally available for the current and past three years. You can order transcripts from the IRS online "Order a Transcript" tool or by phone for the current tax year as well as the past three tax years. If you order online or by phone, you can expect to receive your tax return transcript within 10 days. If you order your tax transcript from the IRS by mail using Form 4506T or Form 4506T-EZ, expect to wait four weeks for delivery. Earlier tax years must be requested with Form 4506T-EZ, Short Form Request for Individual Tax Return Transcript. To request a 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ tax return transcript through the mail, complete IRS Form 4506T-EZ. Businesses, partnerships and individuals who need transcript information from other forms or need a tax account transcript must use the Form 4506T. Getting an actual copy of a previously filed processed tax return from the IRS will cost you $57 for each tax year you order. You will need to complete Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return, and mail it to the IRS address listed on the form for your area. Copies are generally available for the current year as well as the past six years. Expect to wait 60 days for actual copies of your return. Visit the IRS website to determine which form will meet your needs. Forms 4506, 4506T and 4506T-EZ can be downloaded directly from their site or by calling the IRS forms and publications order line at 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676). * Taxbrain customers can simply log in to their account and have instant access to their actual tax forms (not transcripts) anytime, anywhere from their safe, secure Taxbrain account. Adding the premium service option, 5-Year Safe Keeping, customers are GUARANTEED to have access to and print as many copies of their tax return for the next five years at a mere fraction of the cost one would pay the IRS to get one tax return. Learn more. Don’t have a Taxbrain account yet? Sign up for a FREE account today.