The 2017 Open Enrollment Period (OEP) ended on January 31, 2017. For most people, this was the last day to enroll in an ACA-qualified health insurance policy for 2017. However, if you missed open enrollment for ACA, there are still two options for getting health coverage for you and your family. You may still qualify for:

  1. A Special Enrollment Period (SEP)
  2. Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)


Special Enrollment Period

You may qualify for an SEP and be able to enroll in an ACA plan if you experienced certain life events such as:

  • Loss of health coverage
  • Moving to a new Zip code
  • Getting married or divorced
  • Having a baby or adopting a child
  • Changes in your income or household size
  • Becoming a U.S. citizen

See if you qualify for an SEP. If you experience a qualified life event, you have 60 days from the date of the event to enroll in a health plan.


Medicaid and CHIP

Medicaid and the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) provide free or low-cost health coverage to millions of Americans, including low-income families, children, pregnant women, the elderly, and people with disabilities.

Also, some states have expanded their Medicaid programs to cover all people below certain income levels. Find out if you qualify for Medicaid and CHIP. Even if your state hasn't expanded Medicaid and you don’t qualify based on income alone, you should still apply. Each state has coverage options that could work for you — particularly if you have children, are pregnant, or have a disability. There’s no limited enrollment period for Medicaid or CHIP. If you qualify, coverage can begin immediately at any time of year.


If you missed open enrollment for ACA and don’t qualify for an SEP, Medicaid, or CHIP, you’ll have to wait until the next OEP (beginning November 1, 2017) to enroll in a health insurance plan.

For updates from our Affordable Care Authority, follow us on Twitter or Facebook.

To consult with a professional Liberty Tax® ACA Advisor at your local Liberty Tax® office, call 800-673-8600 or visit