avoid-tax-mistakesIf you had filed a tax return with the IRS, and need to make a change or correct the information that was included in the filing, you can accomplish it by using Form 1040X Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return. Filing an amended tax return generally allows you to file again to correct your original filing status, reported income, and/or any changes to any deductions or credits. Although, if it’s a math error, generally the IRS will catch it and correct it automatically for you. You also don’t need to file an amended return if you forgot to attach tax forms such as W-2s or schedules. The IRS normally will send you a request asking for those. Generally, you must file Form 1040X within three years from the date you filed your original return or within two years from the date you paid the tax, whichever is later.

How to Amend Your Return

1. Use Form 1040X if you filed your tax return using one of the following Forms: 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ. Along with this form, you'll need to include:
  • A copy of the return you are amending, supporting forms, schedules and any worksheets you completed;
  • Any notices from the IRS on any adjustments to that return; and
  • Instructions for the return you are amending. If you don’t have the instructions, you can order them by calling 1-800-TAX-FORM (1-800-829-3676) or find them online at www.irs.gov/formspubs.
2. Complete it by paper and mail it to the IRS address for filing Form 1040X. 3. For each year you are correcting, you’ll have to file and mail a separate amended return. Be sure to enter the year of the return you are amending at the top of Form 1040X. 4. If the changes involve another schedule or form, attach them to the amended return. Finally, if you’re expecting a refund from a recently filed tax return, you must wait until you receive it before filing an amended return. Once you receive it, you may cash that check while waiting for any additional refund. Processing time for amended returns typically take 8-12 weeks. If you owe additional balance, to avoid further late fees and penalties, include your payment with the 1040X Amended Return. Otherwise, contact the IRS directly to arrange a payment plan. For complete details, see the IRS Instructions for 1040X. If you’re a Taxbrain customer, we will help you prepare an amended return FREE. It’s easy - simply contact our Customer Support. Not using Taxbrain yet and still confused about amendments? Don’t worry - We will still do our best to help you navigate through this complicated process. For more info, visit Taxbrain today.