tax tips for
TEACHERS IN 2022
Tax Tips for Teachers in 2022.
Thank you to all our dedicated Teachers! We know this year has been difficult, so avoid your TAXiety and let Liberty help you file your taxes.
You are an eligible educator if
- You are a kindergarten teacher, instructor, counselor, principal or aide kindergarten through grade 12
- You worked at least 900 hours during the school year
- You are in a school that provides elementary or secondary education as determined under state law
As you know, most teachers pay out-of-pocket for supplies that will help set their students. Doing this all year long can add up fast. Fortunately, eligible educators may be able to offset qualified expenses they paid in 2021 when they file their tax return in 2022.
Expenses for COVID-19 Protective Items
- Face masks.
- Disinfectant for use against COVID-19.
- Hand soap.
- Hand sanitizer.
- Disposable gloves.
- Tape, paint or chalk to guide social distancing.
- Physical barriers, such as clear plexiglass.
- Air purifiers.
- Other items recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to be used for the prevention of the spread of COVID-19.
Other Qualified Expenses
- Professional development courses
- Computer equipment including related software and services
- Supplementary materials
If you’re a health or physical education teacher, you can expense athletic supplies like whistles, stop watches, dodgeballs and most other items necessary for your job.
Having TAXiety? We Have the Answers.
It’s no secret — taxes can be a challenge to understand. If preparing for this year’s tax season gives you TAXiety, don’t hesitate — schedule an appointment with your local Liberty Tax Practitioner. Let the tax pros at Liberty Tax be your tax resource.