Tax Interview Questions
Preparing for Your Tax Interview
WHY LIBERTY TAX
Liberty Tax is tax preparation at its best: simple, friendly, and professional. With our network of over 35,000 tax preparers and almost 18 million tax returns prepared, you are sure to receive accurate and honest professional tax advice backed by the tax industry’s most solid and reputable company. You will have peace of mind in knowing that Liberty Tax preparers are specially trained and experienced to handle all tax situations, including yours!
WHAT TO EXPECT
Before your tax interview, organize your important documents using the checklist below and research deductions and credits that may apply to you. Documentation will vary based on your situation.
We know that taxes can be challenging and stressful. We strive to put the fun back into tax preparation. When you arrive at your local Liberty Tax, not only will you be greeted by our Statue of Liberty wavers, but our tax experts will treat you like the valuable customer that you are. Comfortable waiting areas and entertainment await you, and Liberty Tax offices are kid-friendly and offer a variety of refreshments.
Most offices are open year round in order to assist with your tax needs. No appointment is necessary to have your taxes completed with us. Don’t wait, beat the rush. Simply call 1-866-871-1040 or use the office locator to locate your nearest Liberty Tax office.
WHAT TO BRING
- Date of Birth
- Social Security Card/ITIN/ATIN
- Last Year's Tax Return
- Valid Driver's License
- Interest (1099-INT or substitute)
- Dividend Slips (1099-DIV or substitute)
- Stock Sales (1099-B or Broker Statement)
- Self-Employment Income and Expenses
- Sale of a Personal Residence
- Rental Income and Expenses
- Sale of any Business Assets
- Gambling or Lottery Winnings (W-2G for some winnings)
- State Income Tax Refund (1099-G)
- Pension Income (1099-R)
- Estimated Taxes Paid
- Social Security or Railroad Retirement (SSA-1099 or RRB-1099)
- IRA or 401(k) Distribution (1099-R)
- Unemployment Compensation (1099-G)
- Miscellaneous Income (1099-MISC)
- Medical Expenses
- Real Estate or Personal Property Taxes
- Mortgage Interest
- Charitable Contributions (cash and non-cash)
- Employee Business Expenses
- Gambling Losses
- Moving Expenses
- Traditional IRA Contributions
- Higher Education Expenses
- Educator Expenses
- Student Loan Interest
- Child Care Provider/Address and Employer Identification Number (EIN) or Social Security Number (SSN)
- Adoption Expenses
- Retirement Savings Contributions Credit
Whether you may owe or are expecting a refund, your tax preparer will inform you of your next steps. Safeguard a copy of your tax return (your tax preparer will provide this to you), along with your other important paperwork, in case you need to file an amendment or reference it in the future. Other paperwork, such as documentation regarding the sale of your home or stock transactions, should also be kept.
We are here for you – before, during, and after you have completed your taxes with us. We will stand behind and guide you through your audit case, assist in amendments to your return, and answer any and all questions about the Affordable Care Act.
Be sure to take advantage of our Send-a-Friend program and earn cash for referring your family and friends to participating Liberty Tax locations! Just think of it as our gift to you.
Keep in mind that the sooner you file, the sooner you will receive your refund. For the status of your refund, check out the “Where’s My Refund” tool on the IRS website. This tool will give you the most up-to-date refund information and is updated every 24 hours. You may access this tool 24 hours after the IRS accepts your e-filed return or 4 weeks after mailing a paper return.
See our Tax Glossary for a complete list of definitions and explanations of commonly used tax terms. A downloadable copy of the Tax Interview Checklist can be found in the Resource Center on our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page.